Tuesday, April 30, 2013

SMS as a language

The question is: Should SMS be accepted as a new language and taught in schools? SMS is short for short message service, it is known for being used in text messages and some emails. SMS uses short forms of words to make it easier to send messages to people. As for if it should be taught in schools, I feel like it is up in the air, I can see the up sides but, then I can also see the downsides. The upsides of it being taught in school is for for being able to take notes faster, it could be a way for the teachers to make learning fun and interesting(1). The downsides that I see are that if the students get in the habit of using SMS when they get into the professional setting, they could make mistakes and then the people you are writing to will not take you serious. The other downfall would be that it already is causing problems. With me and my homework, I sometimes find myself using the language and then realize it, and have to start over. So, if is taught in school then it will just become a larger problem.
Overall, I think that SMS language should be kept out of the schools and just used for personal interactions through text message and emails. But, it will be extremely interesting to see what this up and coming generation will do with this language.




Sources
1. http://theinnovativ
eeducator.blogspot.com/2011/10/10-reasons-schools-should-teach-text.html
2. http://www.west-info.eu/sms-helps-writing-better/

1 comment:

  1. I agree. It definitely seems like a bad idea to teach it in school. I wonder how legitimizing that form of speech would impact grammar and vocalized speech long-term.

    ReplyDelete